Machu Picchu is found in the beautiful country of Peru, situated in the region of Cusco. This majestic archeological site is located in the peak of a mountain of the same name close the town Aguas Calientes, which is also known as Machu Picchu Town due to its proximity. The elevation of this fascinating place surpasses over 2400 meters (7874 feet) above sea level. Machu Picchu is nestled amongst the impressive Andes Mountain Range and boasts a spectacular panoramic view.
- Location: Machu Picchu
- Country: Peru
- Elevation: Over 2400 meets (7874 feet) above sea level
- Coordinates: 13.1631° S latitude, 72.5450° O longitude
- Accessible via: Train, bus or van from Aguas Calientes
How to Get to Machu Picchu?
There exist various ways to get to this emblematic place:
- By Train: The most conventional way of accessing Machu Picchu is via train, departing either from the city of Cusco or Ollantaytambo. Various railroad-companies offer options ranging from 1-day excursions to more extensive packages that include transportation, a guide, and entrance tickets to the archeological site.
- By Bus from Machu Picchu Town: From the town of Aguas Calienets, you can take a bus that ascends up the mountain all the way until the entrance of Machu Picchu.
- By Foot: For those who are crazy about hiking, there exists the option to embark on a trail from Cusco. This journey lasts four days and three nights and offers an unforgettable experience.
When is the Best Time to Visit Machu Picchu?
The best time to visit Machu Picchu is from May until October — the dry season. During these months, the climate is more stable and it rains less frequently, which allows to you to enjoy spectacular views and take high quality photos. Nevertheless, it is important to keep in mind that Machu Picchu keeps its doors open year-round, giving the opportunity to explore this wonder at any moment.
You can see the weather forecast for Machu Picchu HERE!
How to Buy Entrance Tickets to Machu Picchu
Given that the number of entrance tickets to Machu Picchu is limited, it is recommended to get them in advance. You can purchase your tickets in the official website: www.machupicchu.gob.pe. In this platform, you will be able to confirm the availability for a specific day, which allows you to plan your trip more effectively. There are various types of tickets that offer access to the ruins and other nearby places. If you have doubts and you prefer to steer clear of any frustrations, you can purchase any of our packages that include Machu Picchu and other destinations. Take a look here.
What Else Is There to Do in Machu Picchu?
Apart from exploring the fascinating ruins of Machu Picchu, the zone offers other diverse activities such as:
- Visiting the town of Aguas Calientes: This town is the gateway to Machu Picchu and offers a wide spectrum of restaurants, bars, and souvenir stores. This lets you enjoy yourself in the local culture.
- Do the Inca Trail: This hike lasts four days and three nights (4-Day Inca Trail); it is one of the most emblematic experiences you can have on your way to Machu Picchu and it uniquely invites you to get closer to the history and nature of the place. If you wish to do the shorter rail, an equally interesting option, the 2 Day Inca Trail also lets you relish unique views.
- Explore other nearby places: The region of Machu Picchu boasts other must-see tourist destinations such as: the Sacred Valley of the Incas, the Mountain of 7 Colors, and Lake Titicaca.
Machu Picchu, one of the wonders of the modern world, is highly popular tourist destination in South America. Located in Peru, in the region of Cusco, one can get there via train, autobus, or through a trail from Cusco. The dry season, which lasts from May to October, is the ideal season to visit this spectacular site. It is recommended to buy the entrance tickets in advance through the official website. Besides exploring the ruins of Machu Picchu, there is a great variety of activities to embark on in the area, like visiting the town of Aguas Calientes or taking on the Inca Trail.