DAY 1: CUSCO – LARES – WACAHUASI
We will pick you up from the hotel at approximately 5 a.m. to go to the town of Lares, appreciating on the way the majestic Sacred Valley of the Incas with its fertile lands. We will arrive at the small village of Calca (2,940 masl), after which we will begin our ascent, passing through the villages of Totora and Maucaupata, where the villagers dress in their typical costumes, and are mostly engaged in textiles, agriculture and livestock. Finally, after a 4 hour trip we will arrive to Lares (3 200 masl), where we can visit the thermal baths to take a refreshing energetic bath. After lunch and having contacted our muleteers, we will start a 4-hour hike to our first campsite, called “Wacawasi” (3,600 masl).
DAY 2: WACAHUASI – IPSAYCOCHA – PATACANCHA
After breakfast we will start our trek to our second camp. We will start the day very early, ascending to the “Ipsay” pass and appreciating along the way the different peasant communities, with their customs and textiles that they themselves weave for their daily use. We will arrive at the “Ipsaycocha” lagoon, where we will have lunch and take a nap, after which we will continue to the town of Patacancha to spend the second night in our camp.
DAY 3: PATACANCHA -WILLOQ -OLLANTAYTAMBO
After breakfast we will continue our hike to the small village of “Willoq”, a community with original customs. We will also pass through small villages in the course of our hike and we will be able to observe the archaeological remains of Qochapata and Pumamarca. At approximately 2:00pm we will arrive at the town of Ollantaytambo. After lunch we will have free time until 6:30pm, at which time we will board the train to Aguas Calientes, where we will spend the last night in a hotel/hostel with private bathroom and hot water at the foot of the imposing Machu Picchu.
DAY 4: MACHU PICCHU
Early in the morning we will walk or take the first bus up to Machu Picchu to enjoy the sunrise in this magical place before the arrival of other tourists from the city of Cusco. We will enjoy the tranquility of the lost city of the Incas in a guided tour (Approx. 2 ½ hours), then we will have some free time to walk around the Citadel or climb the mountain of Huayna Picchu. From there we will have spectacular views of the entire citadel of Machu Picchu, as well as the valleys and mountains that surround it. We will also be able to visit the Temple of the Moon and the fabulous Inca Bridge. In the afternoon we will go down by bus to Machu Picchu Pueblo (formerly Aguas Calientes town), from where we will return to Ollantaytambo by train, and then take the bus that will take us to the city of Cusco.
- Transportation aboard tourist bus from the hotel to the starting point of the trek (town of Lares).
- Transportation from the Ollantaytambo train station to Cusco.
- Return train ticket from from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo, using the “Expedition” tourist service or similar.
- Entry to the Citadel of Machu Picchu.
- Professional tourist guide on all tours (Spanish-English).
- Food: 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners.
- Chef, in charge of making the food for the expedition party.
- Mules and carriers, in charge of the transportation of camping equipment and food.
- Camping equipment (tent, stove, chairs, tables, sleeping mats).
- First aid kit.
- Carriers in charge of the transportation of camping equipment.
- Emergency oxygen tank.
- Carriers and horses, in charge of the transportation of camping equipment.
- 01 night at a hotel/hostal of your choosing (see list below) in Aguas Calientes.
DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Round trip bus tickets from the town of Machu Picchu to the citadel of Machu Picchu and vice versa (US $24.00).
- Breakfast for the first day (hotels normally offer breakfast).
- Lunch and dinner for the last day (After visiting Machu Picchu you will have some fre time to explore the Inca remains. You may choose to have lunch in either Machu Picchu or the town of Aguas Calientes).
- Entry to the Machu Picchu Hot Springs. The ticket is US $4.00. Towels and bathing suits can be rented in Aguas Calientes.
- Tips for the guides, chefs, and carriers.
- Entry to the mountain of Huayna Picchu US $15.00 (If you choose to add this to your experience, please confirm this entry during reservation to check for availability).
- Extra horse to carry personal luggage throughout the trek. If your luggage weighs over 5 kilos, you can hire an extra carrier for transportation of personal equipment (US $80) weighing up to 25 kilos.
- First class train ride from the town of Machu Picchu, with the “VISTADOME Tourist Service”. This represents an additional cost of US $35.00 per person.
- Extra services, such as tips.
- Sleeping bag for the duration of the trek. Available in synthetic (US $15.00) and feather (US $25.00) options. Sleeping bags are available for rent at our office.
WE RECOMMEND TO BRING:
- A backpack.
- Original passport.
- 01 full change of clothes.
- Warm clothes.
- Hiking shoes.
- Reusable water bottle.
- Camera and batteries.
- Insect repellent, sunscreen, and hat.
- Toilet paper.
- Bottle of water with purification tablets.