We organize this itinerary for those adventurous clients who want to tour the mountains, enjoy the beautiful landscapes of the Andes and spend the night near traditional towns. If you don’t have much time to do the classic 4-day trek, you can take this option that will equally dazzle you.
Altitude: 2850 – 4600 m. / 9350 – 15091 f.
Season: All year
Duration: 02 days – 01 night
Difficulty level: Medium to Difficult
*In order to organize this hike, we will need a minimum of two people.
DAY : CUSCO – LARES HOT SPRINGS – HUACAWASI
6:30 a.m. We will pick you up at your hotel to start our trip to the town of Lares, the place where we will begin our magnificent hike. During this bus trip, we will make a stop in the town of Calca, where you can visit the local market and buy breakfast or other supplies that you forgot. You can also buy some bread to hand out to the children you will meet along the way. Arriving in the Lares town (3100 m / 10170f) we will visit the hot springs where you can enjoy the hot water and then enjoy a delicious lunch.
After lunch, we will start our trek to the camp located in Huacawasi (3750 m / 12303f). Over 4 hours, you will walk gradually uphill so that you get a good workout for the next day when we reach the highest point of the hike. Upon arrival, your tents will be ready, and you will receive some snacks before dinner.
Transportation time: 4 hours
Hiking time: 4 hours
Day Weather: Warm
Night weather: cold
DAY 2: HUACAWASI – SACSAYLLAME PASS – PUCARA
After a comforting breakfast, we will hike to the highest point, the Sacsayllame or Hucahuasi pass at 4600 m/15091ft. The hike will take approximately 4 hours and will be very steep uphill. Of course, an emergency horse will accompany us so that everyone can reach the top. During this trek you will be able to enjoy huge mountains, a mosaic of agricultural lands and breathtaking views.
Keep in mind that we will be reaching high altitudes and that the weather can be very cold. After reaching the highest point, we will descend and pass a beautiful lagoon before having lunch with a beautiful landscape on the banks of the river. You will be able to recover while our cook prepares a delicious lunch for the group. Then we will descend further through a forest where you can enjoy the “Queuñas” (Polylepis). This downhill hike will last approximately 4 hours before reaching Pucará, where our transport will be waiting for us. Once in Pucará, we will board our vehicle to return to Cusco.
Hiking time: 8 hours
Weather during the day: warm
- Tourist transport
- Entrance fees to the thermal baths in Lares
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
- High-quality camping equipment with 4-person tents, but used only for 2 people. Mattresses, dining tent with table and chairs, bathroom, store).
- Double tents. If you want a simple tent, you will have to pay extra. Kitchen equipment, meals during the excursion (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks / vegetarian option)
- Food: 01 breakfast, 02 lunches and 01 dinner.
- Horsemen and mules, for all camping equipment and staff (up to 6 kg)
- Emergency horse
- First aid kit and oxygen bottle
- Walking poles
- Sleeping bag (if you don’t have a sleeping bag, we can rent one for you)
WE RECOMMEND TO BRING:
- Small backpack
- Sleeping bag
- Walking poles
- Warm and cold weather clothing such as a waterproof jacket
- Trekking shoes
- Slippers or sandals(for showers and thermal baths
- Long-sleeved and short-sleeved t-shirts / polo shirts
- Rain poncho
- Bathing suit (for the hot springs in Lares)
- Insect repellent
- Alcohol and gel disinfection
- Bottle of water and sterilizing tablets
- Toiletries and toilet paper
- Photo camera
- A flashlight and batteries.
- Some snacks like chocolate bars and dried fruit.
- Original passport
- Extra money in soles.